Medical Assistant - ISCC
Summit Dermatology Partners
Dermatology Group Seeks Medical Assistant Greenwood, IN
The Indiana Skin Cancer Center is recruiting a full time Medical Assistant who is open to learning new tasks, including being trained in our lab. The Indiana Skin Cancer Center is a partner of Optima Dermatology.
The following is an overview of the essential job functions and responsibilities, this may not be an all-encompassing list:
- Prepares exam rooms for patient use by cleaning the rooms between patients and ensuring that each room is stocked with the appropriate supplies. Prepares procedure trays as necessary.
- Escorts patient to exam room and checks vital signs as needed. Interviews patient to assess needs. Records reason for visit, current medications and takes temperature if necessary. Instructs patient how to prepare for physician's examination. Completes routine forms as appropriate.
- Prepares specimens to be analyzed by an outside lab by packaging specimen appropriately, completing requisition form and contacting testing facility as necessary. Submits lab results to physician before contacting patient and filing patient's chart
- Schedules on-site and off‑site diagnostic tests and procedures by providing the patient with appropriate preparation instructions and making the appointment by phoning the patient or testing site. Records procedures ordered and tracks results.
- Facilitates referrals to other physicians by phoning their offices, making an appointment for the patient, and forwarding requested test results, etc.
- Contacts Hospital and outside sources regarding lab results, x‑ray results and ER reports; phones pharmacies to authorize prescriptions; contacts nursing homes regarding patient orders; contacts patients to relay test result information; and returns patients phone calls with the physician's recommendations for their care.
- Pre‑certifies medications and referrals by contacting the appropriate insurance professionals and providing them with the requested information. Records pre‑certification number in chart. Records and tracks all referrals.
- Takes manual inventory of drugs. Checks expiration dates and orders replenishments as needed. Orders supplies for back office as needed.
- Disinfects exam rooms and lab and straightens reception area daily.
- Performs all duties respectful of confidentiality and safety of all patients, employees, and physicians.
- Communicates with the physician and office manager on any and all issues that are vital to the improvement and continued success of the practice.
- Demonstrated ability in taking patient vitals, injection/immunization procedures, charting and documentation, exam room preparation, infectious waste handling, sterile techniques and routine lab procedures and collection
- Oral communication skills needed to develop patient rapport, discuss orders with patients, patient's family and pharmacies
- Written communication skills necessary for charting and documentation.
- Demonstrated ability in handling patient confidentiality.
- Ability to work with peers in a team situation
- Demonstrated knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served.
- Licensed medical assistant
- Minimum of one year of previous experience in dermatology medical office preferred
About The Indiana Skin Cancer Center
The Indiana Skin Cancer Center’s mission is to provide only the highest quality, compassionate care for those requiring dermatologic surgery. The Center is committed to improving the health of our patients by focusing on comfort while implementing state of the art techniques to meet the needs of our patients and their families.
Something looks off?