Senior Tax Manager
At Ascend, we recognize the struggles that accounting & finance professionals face in traditional firms—from rigid hierarchies and overwhelming workloads to the elusive work-life balance. We believe your ambition should not be constrained by outdated practices or opaque career paths. Here, you're not just a number but a valued member of a community that champions both your professional and personal fulfillment. Our mission is to transform the public accounting experience into one where work-life harmony is a reality, and where your career advancement is supported by a nurturing network and robust resources.
Ascend empowers entrepreneurial CPAs to reach their goals with an innovative growth model that brings their firms into the new age. Backed by private equity from people-focused Alpine Investors, Ascend is building a modern platform for regional accounting firms that enables them to stay independent while accessing the resources of a large CPA firm to help them grow. Ascend provides access to growth capital, robust talent acquisition, best-of-breed technology, a catalytic leadership system, shared back-office services, and modernized equity incentives so that firms can surmount today’s industry challenges and reach their full potential. Founded in January 2023, the company attained revenues sufficient to qualify it as a Top 100 U.S. accounting firm within six months of operation.
For more information, visit ascendtogether.com.
What you’ll be doing:
- Perform initial and/or final review of manager, tax senior, tax staff and intern work products.
- Act as primary client point of contact for the firm. Identify opportunities for value added services for clients by staying abreast of their business needs.
- Communicate staffing and workload issues to Resource Planning.
- Review and confirm assignment objectives, scope, and work plan with client.
- Resolve work product issues using firm resources.
- Contribute to the development and management of comprehensive strategies to identify and meet all client needs.
- Identify and research technical issues to ensure compliance with federal, state, and local tax laws.
- Coach and mentor staff to assist with enhancing their skills and further develop their career.
- Identify and pursue new clients and identify any additional needs to cross sell other firm products and services to existing clients.
- Support the partner team in the development and planning of strategy, objectives, and budgets.
- Prepare and/or review monthly client bills.
- Anticipate, identify, and resolve complex tax-technical issues.
- Effectively manage expectations, internal and external, concerning changes in project deliverables and/or deadlines.
- 8+ years of public accounting experience
- 4+ years of supervisory experience
- CPA required
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, or related field
- Experience directly managing and interacting with clients through a variety of channels
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Advanced knowledge of applicable accounting software, QuickBooks, CCH Axcess & Engagement preferred
At Ascend, we provide a fair and equal employment opportunity for all candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, marital status, disability, or any other legally protected characteristic. Ascend hires and promotes individuals solely based on qualifications for the position to be filled and business needs.